Friday, April 17, 2009

Charmtastic!!! (written by an anonymous source)



This spring I was graced with a beautiful phone-charm from a dear friend and co-worker whose style is part generosity -- part classic elegance. Some of you may be thinking, ‘a phone charm? Is it 2001 and are you in 8th grade’? No, b!t@h its 2009 and I’m 28, married, with a good job and a few pairs of hot shoes and I know when its time to bring back a popular trend. My charm may not be diamond encrusted like Paris Hilton’s dash-board, but it does have a yellow flower and a few chic garnishings.

Like this new charm, my somewhat complicated style has always been best described as funky-drab mixed with a little American pop-workforce-hate-my-job culture. The charm wholly embodies all things drab and brings to mind classic style images such as unwashed hair, dressed-down, care-free, six months of depression, I’ve completely lost it, sort of style. The best way to make that look come together is to complement it with this charm.

I know what you’re thinking, what one accessory could possibly reflect the concept behind funky-drab American pop-workforce-hate-my-job culture. The yellow flower charm from a random Asian market. This adorably depressing charm is adorned with a lovely glass beads and a very convenient hook for new additions! I’m a huge fan of this drabby look and added a few things from around my office to further tie everything together. I feel these additions represent me --- via phone charm.

A simple blue plastic paperclip symbolizes restraint and self-convincing. Just a few short months ago I wanted to throw it away because it’s kind of junky, but then decided it’s kind of vintage and kept it. It’s a bright contrast to the yellow (think crayola standard yellow) of the flower and beads.

Cleverly attached to the blue plastic paperclip is a brilliant customary large paperclip. No grooves, no plastic coating, just a clean steel finish.

The last addition (think metal against soft woods) is part of potpourri set a colleague gifted me two years ago. The piece resembles a half walnut shell with fur like a coconut. It’s a deep burnt orange, and has retained some of its smell from the potpourri which waifs pleasantly when I lift my phone to answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment